phpThumb() Working Again

If you’ve seen my first WordPress post, you know that ongoing image-related error messages gave me a boost to the the other side of the fence where WordPress lives. I like WordPress, but as I’d rather not leave my codebase in the dust, I’ve been poking around for solutions to the thumbnail display problem.

Last night I tried logging in to WordPress and was hit with a server error. I was struck out a second time when I attempted accessing the “old” code-base at the root (WordPress is in a sub-folder) – it too was down. This morning I checked both WordPress and the root locations and found both weblogs were again up and running. To my surprise, the Bear Meadows Post (the last post to display images with the home-brewed code) displayed every image without any errors.

I shot en email to my web host and discovered there was an overnight issue with some files controlling PHP, and to resolve it, some files were swapped around and Apache was reinstalled to a newer version. Fortunately for me, the version update on the server seems to have fixed the issues I’ve been seeing. (This explains why I could never reproduce the image errors with Apache on my PC at home.)

I’ve since closed the support case I opened at the SiliSoftware support forums. (This is the part where you yell at me for not upgrading phpThumb() for four years.)

I think it’s time seriously consider packaging the Ralford.net code for release.

This post is part of the thread: Ralford.net – an ongoing story on this site. View the thread timeline for more context on this post.